Thursday, January 7, 2010

Just look at it!!

Okay...In my other blog I stated I would be covering my food altering adventures here. In weight loss, one has to either change eating habits or fail. It has to be a life changing thing, or the weight will not stay off either. Since I have entered a phase in my life where I am paying someone to tell me how to eat and how to exercise...sigh...I am altering recipes like mad.



Yesterday was my 18 year old's day to cook. He wanted to make Chicken Enchiladas, which is a family favorite, takes a long time to make, and is generally work intensive. I figured he was starting good, but it still took him two and half hours, but most of it was simply because he's a novice at timing things so that they're more efficient. He'll learn -- he's pretty good. This is how they turned out! Don't they look terrific?? They tasted amazing! Especially considering they were low fat! Yes, you read that right. They were low fat. We used low fat and fat free sour cream, low fat and fat free cheese too. I'm posting the recipe so you can make them, and beware, it's a large recipe -- it makes 37 enchiladas. Enjoy!!

Low Fat Chicken Enchiladas

Reduced Fat Sour Cream, 2 cups
Red Pepper, 1 1/2 large, chopped
sweet onion, 1 med, chopped
Cream of Chicken soup, 2 cans
Mushrooms, 1 pkg, sliced/chopped
Diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, 1 can, drained
Petite diced tomatoes with sweet onions, 1 can, drained
Fat Free Sour Cream, 2 cups (1 container)
Green bell pepper, 1 1/2, chopped
flour tortillas, 37 (might be able to do 38)
5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked) chopped
Kraft fat free Cheddar cheese shredded, 1 cup
2% 4 cheese blend, 2 cups
Colby jack grated cheese, 4 cups

While the chicken is cooking, chop all the vegetables. I use a large bowl to toss everything into. I cook the chicken in a frying pan with pan spray and the lid on. It really cooks rather fast. While it's cooking, I chop the onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. and toss them in the bowl. In a separate bowl (although I forgot this last night, and that's why it looks a little chunky on top) I combine all the soup and sour cream and half of the cheese. Reserve 4 cups of this sauce, and then pour the rest over the chopped veggies along with the chicken when it's done cooking, cooled and been chopped.
Take the tortillas, put a large spoonful of filling in it, roll it up, and place it in a sprayed 9x13 pan, seam side down. Each pan should hold 10 to 12, you have to kind of squish them to fit 12. After you've filled your pans (last night took three) you pour the remainder of the sauce on top and the rest of the cheese. Try and cover as much as possible, since what is not covered browns a little faster than the rest.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until edges start to turn golden brown and cheese is fully melted.
YUM!!!
Nutritional Info:
* Servings Per Recipe: 37
* Amount Per Serving
* Calories: 243.4
* Total Fat: 8.7 g
* Cholesterol: 39.6 mg
* Sodium: 627.3 mg
* Total Carbs: 24.9 g
* Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
* Protein: 17.1 g

No comments: