Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Turnips Anyone?


wow...who would have thought? I saw turnips when I was at the store last week and decided to try them. I've NEVER tasted them before. I've had some other roots, but not them.

Today I realized that I still hadn't managed to cook them, so I decided it was time to try an experiment. I was also hungry for a snack, and trying to keep from the chocolate that was calling my name. I still gave in and ate a couple bites of the pudding my daughter made the other night for FHE desert...sigh. But most of it went down the sink!! ;)

Anyway, I ended up thinking of various things that sounded good together and tossed them in the pan. It was surprising how yummy it turned out. I've put the recipe below...you ought to try it! Something new!

Turnip Veggie Fry
Turnips, 2 small, cleaned and sliced
baby carrots, .25 cup
green onions, 1 diced
Mushrooms, fresh, 2 small sliced
Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes, 0.25 cup
Spinach, fresh, .5 cup
Parmesan Cheese, grated, .33 tbsp
spices to flavor -- basil, mrs. dash, etc.

I used my small saute pan and sprayed it with pan spray as well as added a bit of water. I tossed in the turnips and sprayed them, as well as sprinkled them with some spice, covered them all with a lid. Then after about five minutes, I added the carrots (much of this was tossed in according to whim and what was on hand.) and sprayed them. Then I let things simmer for a few minutes. I turned them after they'd had time to brown a touch on one side. After they were a little soft to the touch with a fork, I added the green onions and the mushrooms and the tomatoes. This was stirred in and sprayed again, as well as a bit more spices tossed in. The lid goes on again and then stir every couple of minutes. After the mushrooms are cooked, I made a space in the middle, sprayed the pan, and put the spinach in the hole. I covered the pan and turned it off. The spinach cooked quickly and as soon as it was done, I placed the whole mess on a plate and sprinkled lightly with parmesan. wow...what a filling snack! You'll love it!

Servings Per Recipe: 1
Amount Per Serving
* Calories: 75.8
* Total Fat: 0.7 g
* Cholesterol: 1.3 mg
* Sodium: 268.9 mg
* Total Carbs: 15.1 g
* Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
* Protein: 3.6 g

No comments: