Friday, February 25, 2011

Valentines Cake

I forgot to post this when my daughter made her cake, but I came across the photo today, so I decided to post it anyway - better late than never, right?  lol

Anyway - since Valentines was on a Monday, she decided she wanted to make the desert.  I have a recipe for ice cream cake, using a cake mix but making it low fat and then putting sliced ice cream between the layers.  She wanted to make it heart shaped, so we used my heart shape pans.  It turned out pretty good, which is why I wanted to post the photo.  It wasn't chocolate (because it gives my hubby a headache, so we avoid it when he's going to eat), but it was still yummy.  You could probably do the same with any flavor cake - I've made it with chocolate.
Anyway, enjoy!


    Cake
    1 Betty Crocker Lemon Cake mix  
    1 container Kroger plain FF greek yogurt  4 Egg whites 
      1 1/2 Cups Water
    no sugar added low fat ice cream vanilla , 8 serving  
    Frosting
      4 C Powdered Sugar 
      2 T Light Butter
        1/4 - 1/2 C skim milk
    mix all dry ingredients, then add eggs and yogurt. Mix, adding water as needed till thicker than usual cake mix. Pour into two round pans, one bundt pan or 9x13 pan, sprayed with pan spray. Bake at 350 for 25 min if the two pans, alter according to size of pan.   remove from oven and let cool. Slice in half length wise, and then slice ice cream in 1/4" slices and lay in middle. Put other half of cake back on top. We actually cut both halves of a heart shaped cake in half and had four layers. Freeze.
    Make frosting with the powdered sugar, butter and milk. add powdered sugar to the butter and milk a little at a time so that you don't have to much frosting. This one I used the True Lemon stuff to give it a real lemon flavor. Some yellow food coloring, and we were set. 
    makes about 24 servings.

No comments: