Friday, February 11, 2011

And they call it mock potato soup why???

Okay...so I thought I'd try this recipe that claims to taste just like potato soup, but it's made with cauliflower.  I'm sure you've heard of it - it was a first for me.  I figured we had two huge heads of cauliflower, it was a good time to try the recipe.

Well...as my hubby claims, I couldn't just make the recipe, I had to alter a few things.  But honestly, it shouldn't have made a difference!  I added some celery, didn't use all the oil and used FF canned milk instead of the 1%.  Wouldn't that just make it better?? I wanted soooo badly to add garlic to it, but I refrained.  sigh.  It was kind of bland, and tasted like cauliflower to me.  I mean, it was good, everyone liked it -- but it was no potato soup.

What do you think?

2 large heads of cauliflower
2 pkg bacon
5 cans ff low sodium chicken broth
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1/2 C chopped celery hearts (the leafy part)
Mrs. Dash tomato basil
1 can ff evaporated milk
1/2 C FF half n half

You steam the cauliflower until tender, then you broil it till it's golden.  (You spray it and sprinkle spices on it first)  You cook up the bacon and drain it, then crumble it.  You chop the onion and saute it in a large soup pot with the celery and a can of the broth.  When the cauliflower is golden, you add it to the pot with the rest of the broth.  After it's simmered for about 10 minutes, scoop out half of it into a blender and blend till smooth.  Dump it back into the pot and add the milk and cream and bacon.  Serve with sharp cheddar cheese.  The recipe suggested putting the cheese in the soup, but I like to control how much cheese is used, so we sprinkled it on top.  We also used parmesan cheese.  It makes about 14 servings.

No comments: