Tuesday, June 12, 2012

strawberry rhubarb slow cooker bread pudding


okay - that's a mouth full!!  I decided that I needed to use some of the strawberries I'd gotten from Bountiful Baskets since I've been buying strawberries like crazy the past two weeks...yum!  and saw a post about strawberry rhubarb bread pudding.  That made it my goal!!  Of course, being as how it's June, I was trying to avoid the oven, so I decided to try it in the crock pot.  It turned out great!  So, you'll have to try it now.  That is, if you're a rhubarb fan...which my hubby isn't, but still liked it enough to have two servings!  ;)


We had it with whipped topping, but I'm sure it would be great with ice cream or frozen yogurt.  sigh.  The possibilities are endless...

Since I'm still not with the swing of things, there isn't a blow by blow of how to make it with glorious photos...lol.  So you'll have to just make it and see if you like it.  Enjoy!

Strawberry Rhubarb Slow Cooker Bread Pudding

    Rhubarb, 1.75 cup, diced (which is about 10 - 12 stalks from my plant)
    Strawberries, fresh, 4 cup, chopped (large pieces)
    *Alpine Valley 9 Grain Bread, 10 slices, cut up (or broken up)
      1 TB cinnamon
      1 tsp vanilla
    2 large eggs
    6 large egg whites 
    1 1/2 Cups skim Milk
    1/2 C Agave Nectar 
    1/4 C brown sugar (unpacked)

Spray slow cooker with pan spray. Place broken/cut up bread in slow cooker. Add chopped rhubarb and strawberries, mixing well.
In a bowl, combine eggs, xagave, vanilla, milk and spices. Pour the mixture over the fruit/bread.  Cook on low for about 3 hours. Take lid off, sprinkle brown sugar on top, put back on and cook another 1/2 hour.  if you think it's too saucy, leave lid off and turn off cooker to let it absorb some of it.
Serve with whipped topping or ice cream.

makes 12 servings


  • Calories: 142.8
  • Total Fat: 1.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 31.4 mg
  • Sodium: 120.0 mg
  • Total Carbs: 27.5 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.5 g
  • Protein: 8.7 g

No comments: