Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Food and foodies

Okay - so I guess if it came right down to it, I'd be classified as a foodie.  I have the worst time with cook books, especially ones with great photos!!  I also have a hard time wasting a day away on the internet looking at blogs of cooking.  My favorite site right now is Smitten Kitchen.  She's amazing!!  I think her photos are a little on the dark side - but who am I to complain.  She has published cookbooks!  sigh.
Anyway, going through her site and another one yesterday, Sprouted Kitchen I really had to whip something different up for lunch.  I wanted to make the yummy looking Pea pesto linguini, but ended up doing fingerling potatoes instead.

I guess I'm not a true gourmet, as my daughter figures, because when my future son-in-law asked me what rub I'd used on the steaks I cooked them for Father's Day, I had to answer "smiths".  lol  Since I'd bought them at Smiths and it was how they were packaged.  I did do the hickory smoke chips with it though, and I think that made a little difference.
Anyway - I was making fingerling potatoes with zucchini and fresh peas while my daughters worked out with my niece - our very own personal trainer!!  She was over with her little boy, a sweet little angel that has the cutest smile!

And I got to tend him while they sweated.  sigh.  My turns today...so don't think I got out of anything.
So - to my post.  She (the blogger at smitten kitchen) was waxing poetic about fresh peas, and I realized I had a large bowl of just fresh picked ones from our garden sitting on my counter.  They are really yummy, by the way.

This is what we ended up with...


This is what was left over....  quite a pile.

Now I'm going to make some into the pea pesto, and freeze what's left.  Who knew I'd have this much from our own little garden?  My niece was even impressed.

I was feeling quite the photographer yesterday, can you tell??  lol  I don't know.  Sometimes I get in the mood.  I see all these great blogs with great food and think, I really missed the boat.  But oh well...I still love to cook.  Hubby and I are going away for our anniversary, and I'm contemplating it being a cooking getaway for the two of us...lol  I don't think he'll mind, but I might get tired of it after a while.  I can cook at home!  Of course, I don't always have the appreciative group I'd have in my hubby.  ;)
This was a quick dish that I did in the microwave since I didn't want to heat up the house by turning on the oven.  I'm really trying to figure out how to make decent cookies without the oven...might have to do the ones you cook on the stove.  But that's for another time.
If you want to make this, this is how I did it.  If you're just reading for fun, enjoy.  It was as yummy as it looks!  ;)


Fingerling Potatoes with baby Zucchini
Makes enough for 2...sort of

6 fingerling potatoes (of various sizes) washed and sliced in half and crossways
1 baby zucchini, sliced thin
bacon bits (these were the artificial kind, but real would have been better!) to taste
Mrs Dash Garlic and herb to taste
handful of fresh peas

spray a microwavable dish with pan spray.  lay potatoes in pan, cut side up.  Spray again with pan spray and sprinkle with Mrs. Dash.  Microwave on potato setting.  Add zucchini, kind of toss the potatoes and sprinkle with Mrs. Dash again, toss in the peas.  Microwave on fresh veggie setting.  test potatoes to make sure they're done.  If not, microwave on potato setting again.  I layered a small piece of swiss cheese on top and let melt as well.  It was a yummy smoky potato lunch, and I made myself save a few pieces for my daughter.
hmmm.



No comments: