Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I did IT!!!

I finally made sourdough bread!!  I won't say it's perfection, but it's round, it smells heavenly and it tastes wonderful!!  wow...I tell you, this has been a LONG time coming!  I've been trying to make starter now for over a year.  I've tried three different kinds before finally coming up with a starter that lives and continues to grow.  I was beginning to think it would never happen.  It was kind of my challenge in life, I WILL make a sourdough starter...lol
I found it on this site.  It was so simple after trying everything to get it to work!!
Here's a photo of my loaves and after slicing.  I couldn't wait for it to cool, I had to try it right away.  Ohhhh, it was almost like sitting in San Francisco and eating at the warf!  ;)
They are dark for two reasons...I think I might have over cooked them a bit, and they have whole wheat in them.  I did follow the recipe EXACTLY - I know, don't faint, it does happen sometimes.  And it called for 1 cup whole wheat.  I used more in rolling and kneading, so it might have close to 2 cups whole wheat.
So it's a little darker than regular sourdough, but it still rose well and tastes great.  I'm in such heaven!! Now if I can keep from eating the rest of the loaf, I'll be doing good!!
wow.  A day in history... lol

1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

It looks wonderful. Now that you've started keep at it and bread will become second nature to you. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary