Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas


One of the simplest, perhaps, dishes that I like to make, is Chicken Enchiladas. The first time I had them, I'd just given birth and a neighbor brought them over for dinner. They were heavenly -- something I hadn't even tried making before. I immediately set about finding a recipe for them, and they are one of my families favorites. I still don't make them very often, because I have to make two full pans of them to make everyone happy...lol and that's a lot of work.

But yesterday, I decided I wanted them for lunch, so I whipped up a couple for my daughter and I to enjoy. Hopefully you'll like them too!


Chicken Enchiladas

12 Whole Wheat Tortillas softened
2 large or 4 small chicken breasts, fried, grilled, broiled, whatever and then sliced and chopped.
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper chopped (two if they're small)
1 -2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 container sour cream (I use low fat)
2 C grated cheese -- generally a mix of cheddar and montery jack
6-8 mushrooms, sliced
1 can chopped or sliced olives
1 can chopped or diced tomatoes (optional)
black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Mix chicken, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, 1/2soup and 1/2sour cream together in a bowl, sprinkle with pepper to taste. Fill tortillas, sprinkle with cheese, roll them up and place seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish that's been sprayed with pan spray. You might need two pans. In the same bowl you mixed all the ingredients in, mix the remaining sour cream and soup, pour this over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

Bake for 20 min, or until cheese is melted and edges are crispy.

If you like the taste of tomatoes, I would add the 1/2 the diced tomatoes to the filling and the other half to the top with the olives after it comes out of the oven.

Serve with Salad and you have an excellent meal.

Enjoy!

No comments: