Saturday, September 27, 2008

Summer Favorite

Okay...probably the most popular dish in our house during the summer is pasta salad. This thing has evolved from the original that I used to make with green and red and yellow bell peppers, crab meat (the imitation stuff), cheese and onions to just about whatever we have available to toss in. Something like what I've heard you do with fried rice. grin. So, I thought I'd tell you our basic ingredients so that you can toss whatever you have in with it! You'll love it, if you haven't already tried it. Um...and remember, whatever I toss out here for recipes are going to feed 9 people with at least two servings...And I will add a photo as soon as I make it again...grin

Summer Pasta Salad

3 bags of pasta (we usually do shell, but rotini is nice -- I like to get the three color if it's on sale) Cooked, drained and cooled.
1 each green, red, yellow sweet bell pepper, cored and chopped. (when I use frozen veggies I put them in the strainer with the noodles and defrost them in the boiling water.)
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1/2 lb medium cheddar cheese, chopped (about 1/4" squares)
1 pkg frozen crab meat (usually about a lb) (We have also used cubed ham, chicken, turkey and tuna as well as no meat at all!)
1 can sliced black olives
Mayonnaise
pepper/salt to taste

In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except mayo together. Add mayonnaise one large spoon full at a time until the wetness/consistency you like. (We don't like ours really wet) Sprinkle pepper or seasoning you like and stir through. Basil is also another good spice to add. Fresh cherry tomatoes sliced in half would be good with this, as just about any veggie will too. Best if chilled for an hour or so, but we don't usually wait. Enjoy! Our favorite way to eat this is with lemonade and slices of sourdough bread.

I also had a gift recipe from a friend. Mary contributed this quick and easy fudge recipe that I'm dying to try. If you make it, let me know how it turns out! Simple is my idea of wonderful!

2 Ingredient Fudge
1 12-oz. pkg. milk chocolate chips (you can use semisweet if you like
darker)
1 can milk chocolate frosting (not Whipped), you can use reg, rather
than milk if you like)

Melt together slowly. Stir together with nuts if you wish. Pour in
buttered 9 x 9 inch pan. Refrigerate. You can use butterscotch
chips, white chocolate and mint, any combination you like. The main
thing is that this is very very quick and easy.

No comments: