Monday, March 7, 2011

Okay - She was Right - Sort of

I think I mentioned how bored I was at work Friday.  I was so bored that I was surfing recipes.  Well, I guess that doesn't take much boredom, it's one of my favorite pass times..lol  Anyway, that continued into Saturday, and I discovered a recipe that is really just different, but VERY good - at least initially.  I don't think it's the best frosting to ever cross the tongue, but it's pretty darn close.  Especially with the different ingredient.
Flour.

That's right, it has flour in it!!
I discovered it on the Pioneer Woman site, (which is amazing, if you like food).  She was making Devil Dogs (which to you and me are probably more like Susie Q pies), and mentioned this frosting that she'd found on another site (which goes to show how much we surf each other's sites! lol).  I thought, sure - the best frosting I've ever had?  I've had some pretty amazing frostings.  The last one that really stands out in my mind is what was on my nieces wedding cupcakes - oh man, that was bliss!  (I'm still trying to find out where she got them)  So, I decided to try the recipe and see how it made up.
It's really simple!  I made up a low fat chocolate cake (okay - I just can't make a normal cake anymore) and used sour cream because I had some fat free stuff that had gotten frozen in the back of my fridge and went lumpy, and topped it with semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Wa, lah, the cake.
Then I made the frosting.  She has step by step photos on her web site (she's really good at that) so I won't bother here.  Just click on the link and go wild.
Anyway, I slathered it over the cake, and it's pretty too.  I really can't believe how light and fluffy the frosting texture is.  My son said it tasted like whipped topping.  How does flour, milk, sugar and butter taste like whipped  cream?  Kind of interesting.  Anyway, it is good, but after sitting on the cake I wasn't as impressed.  It's still light, I just thought it had a strange taste.  You try it and see what you think.  I'm thinking I want to experiment with it and see what I can come up with.  The cake turned out awesome, at least, so the frosting was just - lol - icing on the cake...


Low Fat Chocolate Cake:
1 Devils food cake mix
3/4 C egg substitute
1 container fat free sour cream
1 pkg fat free sugar free chocolate pudding mix (8 serving size)
1 1/4 C water
prehead oven to 350.
Mix and pour into sprayed cake pan.  Could make a layer cake or do a 9x13 like I did.  Bake for 35 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.  Cool.

Frosting (The best frosting you've ever had):
1 C skim milk
5 Tb flour
1 tsp Vanilla
1 C sugar
1 C butter

It's kind of ironic to put this on a low fat cake, but oh well.  In a small sauce pan, whisk flour into the milk and heat up, stirring until thickened.  It will be like a thick cake batter.  Cool.  You want it to be completely cooled  off before adding it to the other stuff.  Stir in the vanilla.
Then, in a mixing bowl combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Try to get rid of all the grainy feel of the sugar.  When flour mixture is totally cool, add to the butter stuff and whip on high forever - until it's really light and fluffy and not separated.
Her site says it makes 12 servings.  Those are mightly thick and heavy servings...I spread it over my 9x13 cake and used all of it, but could have done two cakes or 24 cupcakes, I'm sure.

No comments: