Thursday, October 21, 2010

Contemplation of Future Activities...and Caramel Apples!

Well...my husband has been having several comments at work on his lunches.  Many women are impressed with what I send with him, and have told him they would buy food prepackaged by me.  That made me laugh.  Anyone could cook like I do.  It just takes a little bit more time and having the ingredients on hand.  It's also not always cheaper than fast food or prepackaged food you buy in the store.
Take today's menu, for instance -
We had some chicken that's been in the fridge for a week.  Normally you would be concerned, but our fridge tends to freeze things, and the chicken has still not totally defrosted.  I cooked up two breasts in garlic and onion with some Mrs. Dash as I boiled some whole wheat pasta with fresh spinach, added some frozen peas and corn to the strainer and walah...lunch.  Really simple when you're only cooking for one or two.  It's when you add the family size that it gets complicated.
I know I haven't been posting as many recipes as I wanted to, but I've just been too busy.  I did post the pumpkin pie recipe, which is my all time favorite.  Today I think I'll share the caramel apple recipe I tried on Tuesday that turned out pretty good.


Lighter Caramel Apples


    Light Corn Syrup, 1 cup 
    Sun Crystals (stevia sweetner), 1 Cup
    Land O Lakes, Light Butter, 8 tbs
    Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk, 1 14oz can
    Apples, fresh, 12 large 
    (these were mixed between large and extra large apples, but I didn't know how to gage them for the calorie count...)

In a heavy metal sauce pan, mix the Sun Crystals and the corn syrup. stir until blended, bring to a boil over medium/high heat, stirring constantly. Add butter and condensed milk, and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly. The recipe I found said to cook for 15, but it was making solid caramels and I was wanting to coat the apples, so I did it for less time. They still solidified pretty quickly.
Have the apples ready with sticks in them, and a cookie sheet with wax paper sprayed heavily. Dip them in the hot mixture and place on waxed paper. If you want it to cover really well, you'll need to smooth it with a knife or spoon.
Cool and serve! We cooled them and then drizzled chocolate on them. Enjoy!  The caramel tastes great, but it's a little stickier than probably what I'm used to - be prepared.  lol

Number of Servings: 24

  • Calories: 148.6
  • Total Fat: 2.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 8.6 mg
  • Sodium: 62.4 mg
  • Total Carbs: 32.8 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
  • Protein: 1.3 g

No comments: